A Comprehensive Update on Helminth Parasite Biodiversity and Richness in Peruvian Amphibians

Jhon D. Chero, Celso L. Cruces, Edson R. Cacique, Jodie A. Ponce, José Iannacone, Lorena Alvariño, Lidia Sanchez, Gloria Sáez, Jorge Lopez, Reinaldo José Da Silva

Producción científica: Contribución a una revistaArtículorevisión exhaustiva


This study aimed to comprehensively update and expand the knowledge on the diversity and richness of helminth parasites found in Peruvian amphibians. A systematic search was conducted across primary databases, encompassing both indexed and non-indexed articles, to compile the most recent data. As of the present study, a total of 83 distinct helminth taxa have been documented in association with 78 anuran species of the order Anura, marking a 176.7% increase from previously recorded figures. Nematodes exhibited the highest species richness, totalling 52 taxa (62.65%), followed by trematodes (21 taxa, 25.3%), acanthocephalans and cestodes (4 taxa each, 4.8%), and monogeneans (2 taxa, 2.4%). The overwhelming majority (85.5%) of the collected parasites (71 taxa) were identified as mature helminths, with the remaining 14.5% (12 taxa) in their larval stages. Notably, Cosmocerca brasiliense Travassos, 1925 (Cosmocercidae), and Physaloptera sp. (Physalopteridae) were the most prevalent nematodes, having infected the broadest range of host species. Rhinella marina Linnaeus, 1758 (Bufonidae), emerged as the anuran host with the highest diversity, harboring 17 distinct helminth species. These findings underscore the crucial role of helminth parasites in shaping amphibian ecosystems and their significance as bioindicators of environmental health. Protecting both amphibian hosts and their associated helminth parasites is paramount, as it is intrinsically linked to the preservation of ecological equilibrium within these ecosystems.

Idioma originalInglés
Número de artículo1169
EstadoPublicada - dic. 2023


Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'A Comprehensive Update on Helminth Parasite Biodiversity and Richness in Peruvian Amphibians'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto