Effects of psychological interventions on high sports performance: A systematic review

Mario Reyes-Bossio, Santiago Corcuera-Bustamante, Giancarlo Veliz-Salinas, Marcelo Villas Boas Junior, Mariel Delgado-Campusano, Paul Brocca-Alvarado, Tomás Caycho-Rodríguez, Leslie Casas-Apayco, Veronica Tutte-Vallarino, Carlos Carbajal-León, Regina Brandão

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations


Introduction: Intervention programs in sports psychology aid to modify the thoughts and behaviors of athletes in order to improve their performance in sports settings. For high-performance athletes, these interventions are very relevant, given that they constantly face pressure towards obtaining sporting achievements. Methods: This systematic review aims to analyze the scientific articles between 2010 and 2020 that evaluated the effect of psychological interventions on high-performance athletes. In the search procedure, nine studies were selected, the most studied variables were psychological skills, psychological flexibility, and stress. Results: The 44% of the interventions were designed by the research authors themselves, while the remaining 56% were replicated programs, which already had scientific evidence. Discussion: Psychological interventions have a positive impact on sports performance. This review allows sports institutions and professionals to have more knowledge and resources at their disposal to implement these types of programs in their sports planning.

Original languageEnglish
Article number1068376
JournalFrontiers in Psychology
StatePublished - 20 Dec 2022
Externally publishedYes


  • athletes
  • high performance
  • intervention programs
  • psychological skills
  • sports psychology


Dive into the research topics of 'Effects of psychological interventions on high sports performance: A systematic review'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this